THE RAGLAN ARMS
The Raglan Arms is a well known local hostelry. Originally "The Crown", Llandenny's third pub in the mid 1800s was adjacent to Holmer House. The earliest record we have of the name "Raglan Arms" is found in the 1841 Llandenny Census. George Davies, aged 20, a carpenter from Mauld in Monmouthshire, and his wife, Elizabeth, aged 35, born in Llandenny are living at the Raglan Arms along with Mary Griffiths, age 17, a dressmaker born in Llandenny.
William Purchase Haggett and his family lived in Raglan from 1870 - 1901+. Born in Cheddington, Dorset, in 1820 to a farming family, William married Edith (born, East Coker or Yeovill Somerset). Previous to his arrival in Llandenny William was a butcher. William and Edith lived in Axminster, Devon, Cheddington, Dorset, and East Coker and Haselbury Somerset before coming to Monmouthshire.
They lived at Newchurch and Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire, before settling down at the Raglan Arms, Llandenny sometime prior to 1859. After moving to Llandenny the couple had 10 more children, between 1859 and and 1880. William and Edith operated both the Raglan Arms and the Crown in Llandenny
Read more about the Haggett family