Sports in Ragland
Although we know that King Charles played Bowls at Ragland Castle in 1645, little is known of early sports and recreation in Raglan Village. After the battle of Naseby (which took place on the 15th of June 1645), Charles I. repaired to Ragland Castle, where he was always sure of meeting with a gracious reception and could relax.
Boxing and prize fighting also came to Ragland. On 6 April 1833, Ragland was the host for a boxing match between William Charles, The Welsh Champion an William Gardiner. William Gardiner beat William Charles in the 39th round
Known as a favouite way to spend the day at Raglan Castle for King Charles and his friends in 1645 The Siege of Raglan Castle, Neal Maidment, 1990. The boiling green at Raglan Castle was two hundred and sixty feet long, and seventy-seven broad, much admired by King Charles 1 for its situation westward (Historical and descriptve accounts of the Ancient and present state of Raglan Castle etc, by Charles Heath, 1813
Cricket was popular local sport in the 1800's. In 1824, the Monmouthshire Cricket Club was established behind the Beaufort Arms in Raglan. It was one of the earliest county clubs in South Wales. In 1825, Raglan hosted the County of Monmouth versus County of Brecknock. In 1830, Raglan hosted Monmouthsire Club vs, and Clifton Club.
Two years later, In August 1832, Monmouthshire Club had a win by 101 runs against Breconshire at Ragland. By 1836, the Monmouthshire club had over 100 members. The staging of fixtures was also accompanied by much socialising, and their matches at Raglan bore certain similarities to present-day Royal Ascot or Henley Regatta. The Monmouthshire club also held lavish annual dinners and balls after play at the Beaufort Arms, which were a highlight of the cricketing and social calendar. Indeed
In 1952, the Raglan Cricket Club began to look forward to with much interest in the district. In preparation for the first match of the season at Llantilio Crossenny on Saturday week, trial games are being held at the Lodge ground 16 May 1952 - Monmouthshire Beacon - Monmouth, Gwent, Wales
Since the formation of the Cyclists' Touring Club in 1878, badges have been issued to members of cycling clubs on enrollment. The badge was usually worn on a cycling cap or on a lapel. Since the formation of the Cyclists' Touring Club in 1878, badges such as this have been issued to members of cycling clubs on enrolment. The badge was usually worn on a cycling cap or on a lapel. The people's collection has an image of a [Raglan Cyclist Badge]https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/97
Raglan Football Club, ca. 1920
In 1824,the Duke of Beaufort sponsored the Raglan Rugby Club behind the Beaufort Inn in Raglan Village and encouraged the local gentry to take part
In 1823, John Mason of Lanbadock made the news by running from Usk to Ragland in under 30 minutes. (Cambrian, S10,02,August,1823).
- Raglan'Fun Run'1982 - 1988
Raglan Castle hosted a Lawn Tennis Club in 1886 and probably continued until (or through) WWII)
Sources: Cambrian News, 1804 - 1872, courtesy of Swansea Public Library: Gwent local history, Autumn 1994, courtesy of Welsh Journals, llgc National Library of Wales Journal, Cyf. 5, rh. 3 Haf 1948 [society notes] p. 230. mMSS. 7713-7765 incl 53 files of unbound material accumulated during preparation of the History of Monmouthshire.)