Main Page

From Raglanpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Raglan Castle and Village.JPG

RAGLAN / RHAGLAN (Gwe)Raghelan (1254) probably from WELSH rhag 'fore' and glan 'bank', hence 'ramprt'.

Raglan Village (1254) exists in the shadow of Raglan Castle. The link between the Castle and Village was broken after the castle was destroyed in 1646. Subsequently, the Duke of Beaufort, owner of the ruins of Raglan Castle and the lands surrounding Raglan continued to be an important influence in Village life until 1920 when his lands were sold. During the Napoleonic Wars, travelers began to take an interest in the beauty of Wales and were drawn to Raglan Castle. Today the Village has a lively and friendly reputation with three Church's, three pubs, two butchers, a primary school and health centre along with other assorted shops.... and, of course, the Castle

Welcome to Raglanpedia - the home of Raglan District History. This includes: Raglan Castle, Raglan District: Bryngwyn, Llandenny, Pen-y-clawdd: Raglan Village: Tregare: Resources: and History Detectives.

Our vision is to share our history through stories of local people, places and activities along with maps, QR plaques. Our goal is to raise awareness of the history of Raglan District and to celebrate the strong sense of community that has been built up over the centuries.

To get started just click on any of the links in the "Navigation Panel" on the right side of this window. It will open up Raglanpedia to share History Trails and Tales.......

Raglan, Monmouthshire (wikipedia) [1]

  • In Raglan History Trail, we developed new village map boards at Beaufort Square, and Raglan Castle with updated maps that incorporate a QR history trail of historic buildings and activities. QR plaques have been placed on buildings of historic interest around the village. These QR plaques link to Raglanpedia to provide a village history trail. This trail is available in both English and French (especially for our friends from our twin village of Parce, France).
  • St Cadoc's Churchyard Trail includes a Churchyard map linked to a QR graveyard trail, to encourage visitors to learn about Raglan History through the stories of people buried in our graveyard. Our Churchyard trail celebrates the efforts of the Raglan Primary School History Detectives' investigations into the stories of the gravestones in St Cadoc's Graveyard, and ongoing village living history projects.


  • Raglan District Stories a set of six Display Panels tell many stories and events in Raglan over the centuries. These display panels will be displayed in the new Village Hall. The Post Office has three Raglan Village books for sale: Raglan past and present, Raglan at War, and Raglan Fallen. Leaflets for Raglan Village and St Cadoc's Churchyard are also available as guides to the walks in the village/church.


The Raglan District Roots project is led by the Raglan and District History Group. This group, established in 1955, celebrates local history through lectures, tea parties and outings. We sponsor the annual Horatia Durant Essay Contest. Established in 1985, the the Horatia Durant Essay Contest encourages study of local history. In 2010 the Raglan Primary School History Detectives after-school group was established. Our Primary School children can be seen in St Cadoc's Churchyard on sunny Tuesday afternoons, learning about local history through the stories of the people buried there. Visit Gravestones in St Cadoc's Churchyard to see the fruits of our work!


Visit our Raglan Local History website to explore the story of Raglan Village and learn about the Raglan and Local District History Group. (note: we are moving the Raglan domesday info into this website (July 25 2017) Find more about Raglan on wikipedia:

For more information or to get involved in Raglanpedia contact:

Personal tools