MATTHEWS, Thomas (A64)
MATTHEWS, Ironmongers, The Chestnuts on Usk, Road (Ref. A41, A43, A40, A42, D12)
For nearly 200 years, the Matthews family were ironmongers and blacksmiths at 'The Chestnuts' in Usk Road, Raglan. Ironmongers are dealers in hardware and iron while blacksmiths forge metals to make things. In 1802, James MATTHEWS, a blacksmith and ironmonger, of Raglan married Susannah BEVAN. There are at least 5 gravestones that commemorate this family.
Plot A41 - Sacred to the memory of THOMAS MATTHEWS of Lanover who departed this life, December the 17, 1818. Aged 75 years, I know that my redeemer liveth"
Plot A43 - (first generation ironmonger at The Chestnuts in Raglan) nb. gravestone is illegible but 3-4 people buried here. They are probably James and Susan Matthews because the slab is below grave A42 which has Edward and Elizabeth Matthews.
Plot A40 - Llanover ironmonger, brother of Edward MATTHEWS Sacred to the memory of THOMAS MATTHEWS, of this parish who died July 9, 1886, Aged 76 years. His end was Peace, (b. 1810). Also of PHOEBE, wife of the above who died July 1st 1892, Aged 71 years(b.1821)
Plot A42 - (second generation ironmonger at The Chestnuts in Raglan) In loving memory of EDWARD MATTHEWS, Born July 28th 1821, Died February 25th, 1890 and In loving memory of ELIZABETH GEORGE, the Wife of EDWARD MATTHEWS, Born February 26th, 1824, Died, November 12th, 1896
Plot D12 - (third generation ironmonger at The Chestnuts in Raglan) In loving memory, JAMES MATTHEWS, Born 1857, Died 1912. and of his wife ELIZABETH, Born 1877, Died 1971
Plot A64 - In Memory of RACHEL wife of THOMAS MATTHEWS of the parish of Llangwm who died November 11th 1869, Aged 68 years. (b. 1801) nb. not sure how they are related to the other MATTHEWS family
In 1778, James MATTHEWS was born to Thomas MATTHEWS (b.1734 - d.1818) and Rebecca PARRY. When he was 24 years of age, James married Susannah BEVAN in Raglan Village on 14 June, 1802 - the witnesses included: John Harris, Zimbrah Powell and Michael Lewis (St Cadoc's Marriages 1725 - 1900). James and Susannah Matthews had 9 children between 1805 and 1824: James, Thomas, Phoebe,William, John, Rebecca, Philip, Edward, Daniel. In 1810, James and Susannah leased "The Chestnuts" on Usk Rd from George North, a Gent of Brecon. His business must have flourished because three years later, in 1813, James was able to purchase the Chestnuts.
Things went well for James and Susannah. Their 8th child, Edward MATTHEWS (b1821- d.1899) learned the trade of ironmonger and took over the family business in The Chestnuts. In turn, Edward left the ironmongery to his son, James Edward MATTHEWS (b. 1858-1912). After James E. Matthews death, the business was sold to the Hampshire family. They expanded the Ironmongery and became a hardware shop and petrol station. Today, The Chestnuts has been divided into three homes/businesses: The Chestnuts, Castell ?, and Andrew Bayliss' Hairdresser.
James Matthews parents were Thomas Matthews (b. 1734, Llanover) and Rebecca Parry. 1734: Thomas MATTHEWS, of Llanover, was born in 1734 and died, Dec 17 1818 age 76. Thomas and Rebecca had 4 daughters in addition to their son, James. The daughters were: Elizabeth (b. 1772), Rebekah (b. 1773), Ann (b. 1777), and Margaret (b. 1780)
Thomas Matthews died, aged 84 years, Dec 17, 1818 and is buried in St Cadoc's Churchyard, plot A41. P1040902 (burial: 1813:69 Thomas MATTHEWS, otp, bur, Dec, 17, 1818, aged 84 yrs, b. 1734 ). The inscription on his gravestone reads: "Sacred to the memory of THOMAS MATTHEWS of Lanover who departed this life, December the 17, 1818. Aged 75 years, "I know that my redeemer liveth" (A41)
1. James MATTHEWS, b. 1805, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900) (bur: JAMES MATTHEWS: 1868:199, of Llandenny, buried, May, 1888, no age given)
2. Thomas MATTHEWS, b. 1807, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900). He became a blacksmith in Llangwm Married: Phoebe, (b. 1833, Llangwm or Newport) Residence: 1881: Llangwm, Mon. Census - Thomas Matthews, head, Mar. age 70, b. Raglan, occup, blacksmith, wife, Phoebe Matthews, mar, age 48, b. Newport. living at no 21, "Camp" Died, July 9, 1886 in Raglan and buried in plot A40. Burial record no.185 cites a birthdate of 1810 and place as Llangwm (conflicts with Raglan Baptism records). Burials: 1868:185, Thomas MATTHEWS, Llangwm, bur, Jul 12, 1886, aged 76 y b 1810 1868:263 Phoebe MATTHEWS, Raglan, bur, Jul 5, 1892, age72 y b. 1820
Thomas is probably buried at St Cadoc's Church plot A40. death: July 9, 1886 along with his wife Phoebe, died, July 1, buried July 5, 1892. Both of Llangwm. P1040901 (A40) " Sacred to the memory of THOMAS MATTHEWS, of this parish who died July 9, 1886, Aged 76 years. "His end was Peace", (b. 1810). Also of PHOEBE, wife of the above who died July 1st 1892, Aged 71 years" (b. 1821)
3. Phoebe Jass MATTHEWS, b. 9 May 1809, daughter of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900). She may have married John FLETCHER of Monmouth. They had 4 children: John (b. 1839), James b. (1842), Thomas (b. 1842), Phebe (b. 1846- d. 1912)
4. William MATTHEWS, b. 6 Sept,1812, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900)
5. John MATTHEWS, b. 8 March 1815, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900)
6. Rebecca MATTHEWS, b. 3 August, 1817, daur of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900)
7. Philip MATTHEWS, b. 5 December, 1819, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900)
8. Edward MATTHEWS, b. 4 August, 1822, Raglan, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900). - Edward (1822- 1891), continued the family business. - Married: Edward married Elizabeth George of Llandenny (1847 - 1896) - Edward MATTHEWS cited in 1841,1851/1861/1871/1881/1891 nb. 1841: Raglan census, b. Edward Matthews, b. 1822, an ironmonger living in Raglan Village at The Chestnuts, Usk Road with wife Elizabeth George Matthews of Llandenny. 1851 Raglan Census: Edward and Elizabeth living with them is their nephew, John MORGAN, age 15, apprentice blacksmith (nb. John Morgan is the son of John Morgan and Susannah Matthews). - Children: James Edward Matthews, (b. 1858 - d. 8, Jan. 1912) was the third generation of ironmongers at The Chestnuts. James James married Wright A. They had a daughter, Margarie, b. 1910. James is buried in St Cadoc's Churchyard, grave D12 Harriet Louisa, b. 4 Aug. 1864 (in 1871/1881 census only), d. 4340 W. 8th Ave. Vancouver, BC Mary Maud, b. 1868 and Margaret C, b. 1871. married ? Barge, child: Mildred Barge b. 1894.
Edward MATTHEWS died Feb 25, 1890 or after 1891 census (conflicts with 1891 census record). - St Cadoc's Burial plot , "In loving memory of -EDWARD MATTHEWS, Born July 28th 1821, Died February 25th, 1890" P1040907 (A42). 1868:333, Edward MATTHEWS, Raglan, Bur, Mar, 1, 1899. age 77 y (b. 1822)
His wife, Elizabeth George Matthews is buried with him. She died Nov 16, 1896 age 72. - "In loving memory of ELIZABETH GEORGE, the Wife of EDWARD MATTHEWS, Born February 26th, 1824, Died, November 12th, 1896" P1040907 (A42) 1868:317 Elizabeth MATTHEWS, Raglan, bur. 16 Nov, 1896, age 72 y (b. 1824)
By 1901, both parents have died, James MATTHEWS, the eldest son is living at The Chestnuts. He has taken over the ironmonger business. His sister Margaret BARGE, widow is the housekeeper. She has a daughter, Mildred BARGE, b. 1894. In 1911, James is still living/working at The Chestnuts, his sister has moved out. James is now married to Wright A (b. 1881 in Skenfrith, Here. and they have a daughter, Margarie E, b. 1910. He has an apprentice living with him called, George H. AKERY, b. 1892 in Kilmseton Hampshire, and his wife, Ethel, b. 1890 in Trostrey
9. Daniel MATTHEWS, b. 18 October, 1824, son of James and Susan MATTHEWS, otp. (Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900)
P1040908 /09 (A43) 3-4 people buried here - need to dry out the stone and then read it. nb. see Raglan Baptisms 1725 - 1900 for other MATTHEWS births.
Family Tree: Thomas MATTHEWS (1810-1886) Family tree
1802: James MATTHEWS of Raglan marries Susannah BEVAN on 14 June, witnesses: John Harris, Zimbrah Powell and Michael Lewis (St Cadoc's Marriages 1725 - 1900). They probably lived on Usk Rd (now known as The Chestnuts - they are listed on the 1841 tithe map)
1810, James MATTHEWS is identified as a blacksmith on a lease for the property now known as 'The Chestnuts' on Usk Road near the Baptist Chapel. That year Jas MATTHEWS, Blacksmith, paid £84 to George NORTH, Gent of Brecon to lease premises situated in the parish of Raglan for one year.
1813: James MATTHEWS, blacksmith, May 31, 1813, Signed Feoffment of £90 for premises as in Mortgage dated 2 Jan, 1810 situated in the parish of Raglan.
1841: James MATTHEWS, age 65, owner and resident of lot 513 consisting of a freehold house, blacksmith shop and orchard on Usk Rd, (Raglan Tithe Map). 1841 Raglan Census: James Matthews, 65, blacksmith, Susanna Matthews, 61, Phillip Matthews, 21, Edward Matthews, 19, Daniel Matthews, 17, Susan Morgan, 7 (could be a niece), Thomas Guntor, 16 M.S (Raglan Census) 1852: Susanna dies)
other uncatagorized info: P1040860 (A64) In Memory of RACHEL wife of THOMAS MATTHEWS of the parish of Llangwm who died November 11th 1869, Aged 68 years. (b. 1801)
burial: 1868:19, Rachel Matthews, Llangwm, bur.16 Nov, 1869, 68 years, ALSO (no 185) husband, THOMAS MATTHEWS. of Llangwm, bur. 12, July, 1886 aged 76 (b. 1810)
1868:333, Edward MATTHEWS, Raglan, Bur, Mar, 1, 1899. age 77 y (b. 1822).
In loving memory of ELIZABETH, beloved wife of THOMAS WATKINS, Speedwell, Villas Hardwick, Abergavenny, Died, April 28, 1919 ?, Aged 72 years, (can't read last part) b. 1848
burial:1868:507. Eliz Watkins, Speedwell Villas, Hardwick, bur. 2 May, 1919, age 72
burial: 1868:215: Thomas Watkins, Raglan, bur, 7 Oct, 1889, age 46 (b. 1843)
P1040862 (A65) (headstone), EDWARD MATTHEWS, died March 1, 1899 aged 72 years (b. 1827) (needs rubbing) (could be Edward Matthews, of Raglan, no.1868:333, died 1 Mar, 1899, age 72 years (b. 1827)
P1040863 (A65) In memory of ELIZABETH wife of JAMES MATTHEWS of Llandenny who died July 15, 1885, Aged 38 years (b. 1847)
no matching record of Elizabeth - closest is Elizabeth no 1868:317 of Raglan, died, 16 nov, 1896 age 72 (1824)
Linked to related family members via Ancestry.co.uk Public Trees
Return to: St Cadoc's Churchyard Trail