Kings Head Inn
We are very fortunate that Bill James (current owner of James the Butchers on Usk Road - previously known as the Kings Head Inn) loves history and kept all the deeds and indentures related to this property. From these records we have been able to trace this history this Inn and add to our knowledge of Raglan Village.
The Kings Head Inn was one of at least 6 pubs in Raglan Village. The story begins in December 1803 when William Morgan released property he owned on Usk Road. This included a 'spot of ground' that he sold to the Briggs family to build a 'messuage' (house). In 1820, the Kings Head Inn was built on this property.For the next 108 years it was occupied by a number of Publicans, Malsters and Innkeepers. One such innkeeper was Jane Jones/Williams who was the publican for nearly 30 years between (1861 to 1889). She had two husbands (John Jones and William Davies) and is buried in St Cadoc's Churchyard.
In 1889, the Kings Head Inn was sold to the Burton Brewery Co. Ltd. They in turn hired a series of Innkeepers to operate the Inn. The Kings Head Inn was changed into a butchers shop in 1928 by Francis Spencer. After World War II, Francis sold out to Bill James (the current owners of the Old Kings Head Inn now known as 'James, the Butchers'). When the James family purchased the Old Kings Head there was still a skittles alley on the first floor!
Bill's family were once farmers at the Warrage Farm. Bill would have loved to spend his life farming but it didn't work out. Bill became a self-taught butcher. He bought his beef, lamb and pork at local markets and butchered it on the premises. In the early days, Bill had a van to deliver his meats around the Raglan area. He often find his money on the kitchen table and the owner out working the farm. He would also do errands for the elderly that lived in the area and kept an eye on 'the old dears'. So Bill (and indeed the other shop owners in the village provided 'social services' as part of their job.
Website..James the Butchers shop
Go to: Raglan Baptist Chapel