Castle Street

From Raglanpedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Castle Street is so named because it leads directly to Raglan Castle -- at least the tradesmen's entrance. The 'proper' visitors to the Castle would have entered a long drive beginning from near the Model Cottage on Monmouth Road, across at least one pond and up to the front of the Castle.

Most of Castle street belonged to the Duke of Beaufort until he sold all of his property in 1920. Today it is a quiet residential street - far different from a few centuries ago when it had two pubs, the Old Vicarage, the First National School and the carriage (and in this century the bus) stop in the village.

Personal tools