Beaufort Arms Hotel
It was near dark before we reached Raglan and put up at The Beaufort Arms kept by a Mr. Cope where there was cleanliness, plenty, and good cooking. (George Cumberland, 'A tour in North and South Wales in the year 1784').
The earliest known record of Raglan village is in 1465 when a weekly market was held at the Market Cross located at Beaufort Square. A fair was held twice a year in May and October. In the large space around this stone the markets were held, the base of the cross doubtless forming the table on which bargains were struck.
In 1749, John COPE was appointed Attorney for Mary Hitchings late of Landenny. Mary Hitchings was the deceased widow, of John Hitchings, a Yeoman. At the Court Baron held at Beaufort Arms on 17th October 1750 John COPE (attorney and innholder) acted on behalf of the two sons and heirs of Mary and John Hitchings to surrender lands for the use of Giles Hitchings who in turn surrendered the land for the use of William Probyn of Newland Glos,
The Beaufort Arms have been the centre of Raglan Village life for nearly 600 years. It was originally built by the Duke of Beaufort to provide a Manorial Court Baron (i.e. court of law) for the Manor of Ragland. The first Innkeeper known was John Cope (an Attorney),and his wife Mary. John and his wife, Mary Cope were Innkeepers before 1749 and they continued here until 1787. (note: In 1749, John Cope was appointed as the Attorney for Mary Hitchings, (late of Landenny), the widow,deceased of John Hitchings, a Yeoman, (Mary Hitchings' husband was also deceased). John Cope acted on behalf of the two sons and heirs of Mary and John Hitchings to surrender lands for the use of Giles Hitchings who in turn surrendered the land for the use of William Probyn of Newland Glos,.
Court Baron's continued to be held at the Beaufort in 1753, 1767, 1768 and 1769. John Cope died between 1769 - 1779. Mary Cope, the widow of John Cope is named as innkeeper in Oct 13 1779 Court Baron. She is included in court baron records until 1787. (The Manour of Ragland Court Book 1750 - 1800)
In 1771 the cost of the postage of a single letter to and from London and the Beaufort Arms in Raglan was 8 pence (Paterson, Daniel, A new and accurate description of all the direct and principal cross roads in Great Britain, 1771. (137. Raglan Mon. 212. Beaufort Arms)
George Cumberland, author of 'A tour in North and South Wales in the year 1784' stayed at the Beaufort Arms as he traveled from Tintern to Hay-on-Wye. He noted, It was near dark before we reached Raglan and put up at The Beaufort Arms kept by a Mrs. Cope where there was cleanliness, plenty, and good cooking. The next morning was spent at Raglan Castle and Cumberland says, 'This ruin is very beautiful, being elegantly overgrown with ivy, in which we found abundance of hawks and starlings out of number, yet here once lay all the fine literature of the Welch (sp) Nation, till destroyed by murderous war war.; His admiration of the ivy is in strange contracts to modern views on the protection of ancient buildings.
'On returning to the inn (Cumberland says), we found a woman sitting in the porch, of about 30 years of age, whose dress and features betrayed the strongest marks of insanity, during the whole day, she never ceased to talk, sing or cry, and kept continually walking about the inn and its neighbourhood; all night she said she walked the ruins of the castle, and as her figure was rather interesting, we could not help making enquiries about this young woman, for she appeared to have been very handsome and though lean was still well made; the people related that she was sister to a gentleman of property in Carmarthen, a Mr. Gwin, and the cause of her insanity was said to have been the trial of the murderers of Mr. Powell in which a number of people were said to be implicated. By her own account she broke away from a madhouse in London, and had travelled down here on foot into Wales. She said she had been some days before at Monmouth, where the children had wounded her with stones, and she showed me two wounds in her breast, yet seemed to take little notice of them,for she said, 'no blows could hurt her there' - not being able to speak the Welch (sp) we could learn little more about this poor interesting maniac'.
This story is a very interesting one; William Powell of Glanareth in the parish of Llangatock was murdered by a number of men called "The Llandovery gang' on January 8th, 1770. The trial was held at Hereford Assizes on the 28th of March 1770. Yet in 1784 this woman, who at the time of the trial could only have been a young girl was still suffering from the effects of the trial. With the exception of the instigator of the murder, William Williams, who was a shop keeper and a small landowner, the murderers were all men of humble life. We shall, alas, never now be able to find an answer to this strange story.
Court Baron's continued to be held at the Beaufort in 1753, 1767, 1768 and 1769. John Cope died between 1769 - 1779. Mary Cope, widow of John Cope is named as innkeeper in Oct 13 1779 Court Baron. She is included in court baron records until 1787. (The Manour of Ragland Court Book 1750 - 1800) (more information about Court Manors).
After Mr Cope died, the Beaufort Arms Farm was auctioned on April 26th 1791 by Thomas Hopkins. The farm stock consisted of three ricks of fine old hay, thirty-eight acres of wheat in the grass, three whole bedded wagons, two carts, three plougs, six harrows, one drag, three rolls & two bedded waggons, two carts, three ploughs, six harrows, one drag, three rolls, two post-chaises, three sets of chaine harness, with cart harneess complete for six horses; also, five mares, three geldings, and one three-years old cart gelding, four oxen one bullock, one heifer, and three fore pigs; a cider-mill and press complete; with a quantity of beer and cider calks, will commence with the first day.
And on the following day will behold, All the HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, comprising of four post and other beddings with check and other furniture; sixteen feather beds; blankets, quilts, &c. A large quantity of bed and table linen; dining-tables, tea tables, chairs, chest of drawers pier and fwing glatt, place pewter, china, glass, and other ware: a kitchen grate; copper stew-pans, boilers, and f? pans; an iron boiler, a large brewing copper and iron work; with math and other tubs. The sale to begin at ten o'clock in forenoon, and continue till all was sold
Mr Chambers is the second known publican at the Beaufort Arms Inn. He was known for providing good wines and post-chaises Mr Chambers is mentioned in 1795 as "continuing to uphold the status of this Inn. Mr Chambers reports:
"It may be necessary to inform the stranger that from Monmouth to Abergavenny, by way of Ragland, is two miles further than the direct line of communication: but it is an excellent turnpike road, and in the village is a good Inn (The Beaufort Arms), kept by Mr. Chambers, where carriage and other company will meet with every accommodation; good wines, post-chaises, &c. (Chas Heath, 1790, Accounts of Ancient and Present state of Ragland Castle.
A noble PEWTER DISH, such as the Barons of old are said to have used in their ancient halls, twenty-five inches in diameter, and decorated with armorial bearings, was presented to Mr. Chambers, by the late Mr. Charles Morgan, which with goodly grace, stood pre-eminent above its fellows in the kitchen of the Beaufort Arms, -- whose dignity was further increased when sustaining the savoury haunch; but the assessor of taxes compelled Mr. Chambers to deface the arms unless he consented to pay the armorial duty' so that its ornaments, for that reason have since been obliterated; and with my friend, the worth owner, has retired to the shade of private life, in Ragland.
1813 - "The Beaufort Arms Inn has been lately fitted up, in a tasteful manner, by Mr Hallen, proprietor — affording that quiet and comfort so much to be desired by strangers, who travel with the view of enjoying these scanned at their ease and convenience." (Historical and Descriptive accounts of the ancient and present state of Raglan Castle and a variety of other particulars, deserving the stranger's notice, relating to that much admired ruin, and its neighbourhood, collected from original papers and unquestionable authorities by: Charles Heath, The sixth Edition (printed and sold in the Marketplace in Monmouth) 1815 - Beaufort Arms, Mr Hallan, proprietor of Beaufort Arms, Heath Excursions, Chas Heath, 1815
1825 - The Waterloo Lodge of Independent Odd Fellows of Monmouth made their annual summer excursion on Monday the 4th, August, 1829, within the celebrated ruins of Ragland Castle. The brethren and their friends dismounted at the Beaufort Arms Inn (the headquarters for the day) and immediately repaired to the Castle, in the Yellow Tower of which floated the Union Jack. Unanimous was the feeling of admiration on the survey of these far-famed remains of castellated splendour. After a cursory glance, and slight refreshment being partaken of, a procession was formed on the terrace in front of the entrance gateway, and eight-four brethren walked in full costume with the insignia of the Order, through the village, returning to the Castle in the same order, amidst the assembled crowds that lined the road.
1825 - The Beaufort Arms hosted social events for the Monmouthshire Cricket Club. The Club was established by Lord Somerset in Raglan on land behind the Beaufort Arms which was part of the Dukes estate to serve the cricketing gentry of the county and surrounding area. The Monmouthshire club also held lavish annual dinners and balls after play at the Beaufort Arms, which were a highlight of the cricketing and social calendar. Indeed, 'The Monmouthshire Merlin' in August 1832 commented how 'all the beauty and fashion of the neighbourhood assembled at Raglan."
'Raglan was a highly convenient assembly point, with a nodal position in the local transport network. This wide potential catchment area was one of the factors behind the success of the Raglan club, as gentlemen, who had leared to play cricket at public school in England, found it ways to assemble at the Beaufort Arms and practice on a regular basis. A second factor was the good organisation, with notices places in newspapers advertising the benefits of membership, and that any member "wishing to practice on any day will find two men ready to attend him by applying at the Beaufort Arms"… by 1836, the Monmouthshire club had over 100 members including all the leading political, commercial and social figures subscribing to the club…. The staging of fixtures was also accompanied by much socialising, and their matches at Raglan bore certain similarities to present-day Royal Ascot or Henley Regatta, as the leading social and political figures of the county gathered at the ground behind the Beaufort Arms. 'The Monmouthshire Merlin' for July 1834 reported how "numbers carriages of the leading families of the county, and many ladies and gentlemen from more distance quarters were on the ground at an early hour". The Monmouthshire club also held lavish annual dinners and balls after play at the Beaufort Arms, which were a highlight of the cricketing and social calendar. Indeed, 'The Monmouthshire Merlin' in August 1832 commented how 'all the beauty and fashion of the neighbourhood assembled at Raglan." The 'very select and elegant' Cricket Club Ball was opened at the Beaufort Arms in Raglan by Benjamin and Augusta Hall on 29th August 1833 (Benjamin and Augusta Hall, 1831-36 National Library of Wales journal Haf 1964)
The growing industrial centres in the Monmouthshire valleys attracted vast numbers of immigrants from rural parts of Wales. They arrived with strong Nonconformist views, and their rural, Celtic origins meant that they had probably not been exposed to the general anglicisation of society that had taken place in south-east Wales as was evident by the growth of cricket in such towns as Raglan. In contrast few forms of recreation were encouraged in these growing industrial centres in the Monmouthshire valleys, and there was strong religious disapproval of any ball games by the Nonconformist ministers. One even went as far as issuing an anti-cricket pamphlet in 1851, describing how a miner decided one Sunday to "refrain from the heathen tendencies and drinking habits by going to church instead. He was immediately converted and never went near a cricket ground again." However, a major limiting factor was that it was only the upper classes who had received any formal coaching or encouragement to play cricket whilst at school. The rudimentary education for the majority of the population meant that many of the lower middle class and workingmen had received no encouragement to take part in exercise and in any case probably had little yearning to get involved with the toffees. Some reforms took place to the education system from 1850, but the fact that they only occurred at the public and grammar schools meant that the improvements only swelled the number of affluent and well-to-do young gentlemen who could play cricket….
(Monmouthshire Cricket Club, 1838: List of members 1. Duke of Beaufort 2. Lord Granville Somerser, M.P. 3. Sir Charles Morgan, Bart. 4. Sir Smauel Fludyer, Bart. 5. Alfrey, John, Newport 6. Alfrey, Edward, ditto 7. Bailey, Joseph, M.P. Glanusk 8. Bailey,Joseph, Jun. M.P. Nant-y-glo 9. Baldwin,John, St. Pierre 10. Baldwin, Edward, ditto 11. Batt, william, Abergavenny 12. Batt, Frederick, Abergavenny 13. Blewitt, R.J. M.P. Llantarnnam Abbey 14. Bosanquet, Samuel, Dingestow 15. Bosanquet, James, ditto 16. Court, Charles, St. Briavels 17. Cairos, Edward, Newport 18. Coke, R. Newland 19. Croft, C.H. Pontypool 20. Davies, Touchet, Crickhowell 21. Dilwyn, - Glamorganshire 22. Davies, Henry, Monmouth 23. Edwards, Thomas, Bryngwyn 24. Edwards, Alexander, Pontypool 25. Edwards, Edmund, ditto 26, Gisbourne, 0 Brynderry 27. Hall, Benjamin, M.P. Llanover 28. Hunt, James, Snatchwood 29. Hawkins, H.M. 30. Hill, Stephens, Blaenavon 31. Hutchings, Edward, Doulais 32. Ives, William, Brecknock 33. Jones, Philip, Llanarth 34, Jones, William, Clytha 35. Jones, Edward, Llanarth 36. Jones, Wybourne, ditto 37. Jones, William, Monmouth 38. Johnson, Richard, Bute Iron Works 39. Kenrick, G.S., the Varteg 40. Leigh, C. Hansbury, Pontypool Park 41. Lawrence, george, Blue Broom 42. Lewis, Thomas, Newport 43. Lewis, J. Glaslyn 44. Little, H. Pany Goitre (upper) 45. Livett, Andrew, Newport 46. Marriott, Major, Newport 47. Miers, John, Bridgend 48. Morgan, William, Panty Goitre 49. Moggridge, Matthew 50. Nares, Captain, R.N. Clifton 51. Needham, W. the Varteg 52. Nixon, John, ditto 53. payne, D.R. Newport 54. Partridge, William, Bishopswood, Ross 55. Phillips, William, Whitsun 56, Pocock, Henry, Beech Hill 57. Powell, Charles, Abergavenny 58. Powell, Captain, Monmouth 59. Powell, Rev. T. Cantriff 60. Pritchard, J.W. Caerleon 61. Price, Rev. T. Monmouth 62. Prothero, T.Jun, Newport 63. Protheron, Charles, ditto 64. Prothero, Edward, ditto 65. Prothero, George, ditto 66. Rickman, Richard, St. Briavels 67. Rolls, J.E.W. the Hendre 68. Secretan, W.W. Abergavenny 69. Stretton, W.R. Dany Park 70. Stretton, Charles 71. Wilkins, Walter, M.P. Woodlnds 72. Wilkies, J. Jeffries, Maes Derwin 73. Waters, Richard, newport 74. Williams, F. Hanbury, Coldbrook park 75. Williams, Rev. A. Usk 76. Williams, Thomas, Newport 77. Wright, W.C. Clytha Cottage 78. Wyatt Thomas H.
Committee 1. Philip Jones, Esq 2. Joseph Bailey, Jun., Esq. M.P. 3. W.R. Stretton, Esq 4. R.J. Blewitt, Esq., M.P. 5. William Jones, Esq. 6. J.E.W. Rolls, Esq 7. Edward, Jones, Esq 9. F.H. Williams, Esq.
William Needham, Treasurer and Secretary (Source:Nineteenth-century cricket in Monmouthshire : Gwent local history: Autumn 1994 (nb. details available on British Newspapers via Find my Past)
1833 - "There is an excellent Inn in the village, called the Beaufort Arms, which affords the most comfortable accommodation" remarked, Hough Charles. "A companion to Ragland Castle, or, a familiar description of that beautiful and interesting ruin: with biographical notices, and historical particulars, relating to its former splendour and renown" (Source: Google eBook, http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=62gGAAAAQAAJ, first pub. 1833)
1835 - Daniel Phillip Evans, proprietor (1835 Pigotts directory)
1836 - Letter from Daniel S. Evans of the Beaufort Arms, Raglan to Robert Evans Esq. Clerk to the Trustees of Chepstow Turnpike Trust complaining of the bad state of repair of the road between Chepstow and Ragland and as a result his house suffered great injury as travellers were obliged to use another road (no. 1848)
1840's a number of Coaches stopped at the Beaufort Inn including: To London, the Royal Mail called every evening at four, to Carmarthen the Paul Pry (from London) called every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, to Cardiff, the Hero every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evening at five.
1842 - Ann Evans, proprietor (1842 Pitotts directory, 1842 Tithe Map, Raglan, 1840 census) Ann Evans, 30, Innkeeper, Eliza Evans, 20, Catherine Prosser, 20, Jane Thomas, 20
1859 - Eliza Edwards, proprietor (1859 Slaters directory)
1861: Raglan - Coral Society. The first concert of this society took place at the Beaufort Arms hotel yesterday (Friday) se'nnight. The room was crowded to excess, and was well lighted by an adept in the art of hanging lamps from Newport. Mr. John Jones, the treasurer, and Mr. Fisher, the secretary, and the rest of the management who have taken so warm an interest in the welfare and foundation of this society, must feel highly gratified at seeing their efforts thoroughly successful. In the first part (sacred), the choruses were given with considerable devotional interest and a keen perception of the composers intentions; the basso, Mr. Jame's rich voice distinguishing itself in sonorousrelief The recitation and air, "Thus said the Lord" (Messiah), was remarkable for its pathos and the mastery execution of Mr. H.J. Groves. One could fancy this gentleman well at home in a cathedral as one of its vicars choral. So convinced were his auditors of the admirable manner in which he had aquitted himself, that at the conclusion he was saluted with a general demand of encore, The vocalisation of Miss Watts, soprano, or rather mezzo-soprano (a young lady whose very youthful appearance would not prepare us to expect a voice powerful throughout its range and of surprising compass), was most pleasing. Her delivery of the recitatives exhibited much declamatory intelligence and her Welsh song was given with a clearness, spirit, and delicacy, which could not well be surpassed; and in the duet "Gathering Flowers," she was very prettily assisted by Miss Walkinshaw, quite the star of the lady chorus singers As to Mr. John Nash,he is the very beau ideal and personification of bonhommie, jollity, and humour. He seemed to act on the old classical principle
"Et quocunnque volent, animum auditoris agonto. Ut ridentibur arrident, ita floutibus adilent Humani yulius. Si vig me flere dolendum est Primuim ipsi tibi
For his own ringing metallic laugh, as clear as the notes of a piano, is always the leader of choral peals from the whole company His voice and articulation are so perfect that every word is distinctly heard by the audience. It is confidently hoped that public patronage will be extended to this youthful, yet useful, Society and then such vocal and instrumental performances may be added as will render future concerts at Raglan agreable to the most fastidious taste and popular with every one. (1861 Raglan Choral Society - Beaufort Arms. pdf)
1861 - “Engine hunting" in Raglan! A team of scientists stayed at the Beaufort Inn while they opened the Somerset vault inside St Cadoc's Church to determine whether Edward Somerset , the 6th Earl and 2nd Marquis of Worcester had been buried with his Steam Engine. The leader, Bennet Woodcraft, had recently set up the London Patent Office and ran a small museum of invention in S. Kensington in London. Woodcraft wanted to collect and preserve the steam engine that he believed might have been buried with him inside St Cadoc’s Church
1870 - Thomas J Edwards, Inn holder: Duke of Beaufort, Owner (1870 Rates Book)
1895 - 1915 - Thomas Leech, Inn holder (Kelly's Directory for 1895 and 1901. Thomas Leech died 6 Jan 1916, 74 years and is buried in St Cadocs Churchyard. (Raglan Burials, 1868 - 1958)
Many other gatherings were held at the Beaufort Arms such as the Annual Monmouthshire Hunt Dinner (1857 - recent times), entertainment such as the Raglan Choral Society (they held their first concert at the Beaufort Arms in 1861), the Annual Dinner of the Raglan Farmers Club (1890) 'Monmouthshire became established during the first three decades of the nineteenth century as the earliest centre of cricket in south Wales. Games were organised by the landed gentry at country houses such as Cwrt-y-Gollen, and in 1824 a gentlemen's side, called the Monmouthshire C.C. was established in the market town of Raglan. It was one of the earliest county clubs in south Wales, and had membership lists which read like a Who's Who of the region. (see fig. 1) During the 1830's and 1840's the club's influential members acted as innovative agents, helping to spread the game to the rest of the region, with clubs being established in the industrial valleys as well as the coastal towns. As well as a geographical spread, there was social change as the game, during the second half of the nineteenth century, was played by people lower down the social ladder, and became especially popular with the nouveaux riches and workingmen…
Recent Managers: (source: Raglan Petty Sessions 1912 -1930)
1917 - Edward Thomas Allen, Inn holder (1917 Raglan Petty Sessions)
1918 - Henry Edward Curd: Transfer of License of Beaufort Arms Raglan to Henry Edward Curd (Raglan Petty Sessions)
1919 - 1923, James Challenger (he may have worked jointly with S.T. Early, Henry Bennett
1920, the Beaufort Arms Hotel was sold as part of the Beaufort`s' Raglan Estate Sale
1921 - S.T. Early, (one month)
1923 - 1925, 1929, 1939 - Henry William Bennett (Raglan Petty Sessions)
Oct. 1925 - 1927, Country Hostels Ltd (had tennis dance, Raglan Auction, farmers dance, farmers dinner)(October 1925 - Raglan Petty Sessions).
1927 - 1940 Harold and Rose Bernard - During this time Harold became manager. He later died in 1941, aged 41 years old. (Raglan Petty Sessions) During Harold's time (1900 - 1941) he was given an Extension of permitted hours for Raglan Auction 15 Nov 1927 and an Extension of permitted hours for Dance for Raglan Farmers Association 23 Nov. and an Extension of permitted hours for a dinner- 1928, July 28, owning a Dog without a license, 1929, Apr 27, Aiding and abetting - Oct 12, 1929 & 1930 - Raglan Petty Sessions) (note: A year after leaving Raglan Harold Bernard died possibly by accident in 1941. He was just 41 years old and left his wife Beatrice Edith Ward Rose, his daughter Anne Rose and his mother-in-law who moved to Reading)
1929 - John W. Bennett (Mar 12, Raglan Petty Sessions) or Hy. Wm Rennett - June 1929
1930 - H.R. Bennett (Feb 1, Raglan Petty Sessions) nb. name changed to "Beaufort Arms Hotel)
1930 - H.R. Rose, (Mgr) (Oct 7, 1930, Raglan Petty Sessions) and / or 1930's Publicans: Henry William Bennett / Herbert & Mercy Doggett.
1931 - Country Hostels (Jan 03, Raglan Petty Sessions). nb. from this point on there was no indication of ownership of Beaufort Inn through 1933 when the Raglan Petty Sessions data ends)
In 1935, Neville Chamberlain stayed at the Beaufort Inn while fishing in the River Wye. This was one of the enticements for visitors for many centuries. (Chamberlain was Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1931 and became Prime Minister in 1937) (photo: CP38)
1937 - Trust Houses Lt'd
1940's Jack (Herbert) and Mercy Doggett
ca. 1940 - Harold Bernard Rose was manager of the Beaufort Arms. Unfortunately he died, aged 41 years, in 1941 , possibly by accident. He left a wife, Beatrice Edith Ward (died 1950) along with daughter Anne Margaret Rose (born 1963 in Abergavenny). Later, Anne moved to Reading with her mother and grandmother who ran the Berkeley Private Hotel throughout the war years
1953 - Raglan Farmers Club meeting "The fact that the younger members of the district have to go to Monmouth, Abergavenny or Usk to enjoy the facilities offered by a Young Farmers' Club has prompted farmers to take action. With the object in view of establishing a Club at Raglan, an Advisory Committee of some 12 members has been formed to make the necessary arrangements. At a meeting on Wednesday last at the Beaufort Arms Hotel Mr R. Farr (Chairman) presided, supported by the honorary Secretary, Mr J. W. Griffith, and the prospective Club leader, Mr Eric Spencer.The Monmouthshire Beacon for 20th February, 1953"
1957: ref: photo L075: Carol Jones on her pony outside the Spiders Web cafe around 1957 when Carol was 17 or so.The Spiders Web closed in 1957 when its proprietor,Mrs Gladys Wood,purchased the newsagents shop on High St from Mrs Jones,the grandmother of Fitzroy Silverthorne and Mary Huges, who still live in Raglan. Carol's parents,David and Joan Jones,never owned the Beaufort Arms Hotel.David,always known as Dai,became the Manager around 1954. The hotel was part of the Trust Houses Group,a company which owned many 2 and 3 star hotels throughout the UK.The company was later acquired by Rocco Forte's group,and sold off many of the smaller hotels such as the Beaufort. After they retired from the Beaufort,the Jones family moved back to the house they owned on Castle St,Castle Vale. (courtesy of Tim Jones resident of Raglan in
1950's, 5 June 2011
1986 - Mr & Mrs B. Jeans owned the Beaufort Arms. During that time the Beaufort Arms Raglan was included in the BBC history domesday project: "The Beaufort Arms hotel is situated in the middle of the village of Raglan and it is privately owned by a Mr & Mrs B. Jeans. There is evidence of an inn on the site dating back to the 14th century. A number of timber beams from Tudor times are displayed in the bar along with a fireplace removed from the nearby Raglan Castle. The hotel has twelve centrally heating bedrooms containing double bed or two singles, wardrobe, settee, colour T.V., wash basins, bath or shower, toilet, coffee and tea making facilities and baby alarms. A single room costs £18 & a double room £26 per night plus vat. There is a ballroom with its own bar which can accomodate up to 150 people and often used for wedding, meetings and parties. There is a retaurant and two bars serving hot & cold snacks. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history)/domesday/dblock/GB-340000-207000/page/7
2002 - 2015 Janna Lewis and family owned the Hotel - Today the Beaufort Arms continues to welcome visitors and villagers alike.
Today Miguel and his team continues to welcome visitors from around the world as well as local villagers alike. In 2016 the the new owner, Miguel Santiago, installed Leopard and Dragon carved wooden statues outside the Beaufort Inn. The Somerset family used these effigies on their coat arms along with the Beaufort motto: "Mutare Vel Timere Sperno". (I scorn to fear)
- Beaufort Arms History
- Raglan Under Siege 1646
- Royal Commission on Ancient & Historcal Monuments of Wales
stable block used for many functions today
BEAUFORT ARMS HOTEL;BEAUFORT HOTEL http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/7638676/Wales-pub-guide-The-
- Broad Class of Site: Commercial
Type of Site: HOTEL NPRN: 36431 Period: Post Medieval
- Location: Map reference: SO40NW
Grid reference: SO41270770 Community: Raglan, Council: Monmouthshire Old County: Monmouthshire Site Description
- Site Description: 19th century. Earlier timber framing.
Built in the 1840s, range added to the north-east at a later date. (NB this is not true as the Court Baron records site Beaufort Arms venue as early as 1750 CM)
- GME 17/02/2003
- Catalogue Number: C39530: Collection: Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust) Description: Channel Archaeology report on a watching brief at the rear of the Beaufort Arms Hotel, Raglan, by M. Ponsford, 12/2002, accompanied by CD of digital scans of various historical and modern maps. Date: DEC 2002
- Badmitton Records
- Thanks to Tom Jones who lived in Raglan in from the 1940's to 1960's. He was a neighbour of Carol Jones
- Thanks to Anthony (Tony) Maunder for the information about Harold Bernard Rose. Harold had at least one daughter, Anne Rose, born 1936 in Abergavenny. Anne moved to Reading with her mother, Beatrice Edith Rose and grandmother who ran the Berkeley Private Hotel. Beatrice died in 1950 and her mother, Ella Ward died in 1958
- Beaufort Inn website... The Beaufort Raglan
(Note: add photo's from Raglan Domesday account, cm: 22 July 2017)
Go to: Castle Street: First National School