Llandenny Village History Trail

From Raglanpedia
Revision as of 00:53, 25 May 2014 by Cherylmorgan (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Llandenny Map.jpg

Llandenny Map Launch.JPG

The Llandenny Map is intended to raise awareness of the contribution of local people and places to our community. It is located at the 'heart of the village' between Llandenny Church and The Raglan Arms pub. The map is linked to the Raglanpedia.org.uk website through a QR Code to provide additional historical information about the Village. The map also marks Raglan District Local Ways walking paths

Stories about life in Llandenny Village are located at:Raglan District Stories

Take an aerial view: Views from above - Llandenny from the air (© Jonathan Price 2014 - Ty-Angles Llangrove Ross-on-Wye)

Brief history of Llandenny Village

'Llandenny should, of course, be "the church of St Denny" but is referred to in the Book of Llandaff as "mattenni". Unfortunately, there was no St Denny or tenni and so the derivation of the name must remain obscure' - so wrote the late Fred J. Hando. The village of Llandenny lies three miles from Raglan and four and a half miles from Usk. The village has about 30 houses in close proximity to the church and pub.

A curious reference to Llandenny occurs in the Chronicle of Adam of Usk. This ecclesiastic records that in his youth (about the year 1370) he saw at the house of Lleuci vetch catkin at Lankenyo a calf with two tails, two heads, four eyes, and four ears. [1].

Llandenny was the headquarters of the Parliament forces for their attack on Raglan Castle.

The parish of Llandenny is widespread and includes Kingcoed, Llandenny Walks and several farms. The village has no shop or post office but there is a pub. This is The Raglan Arms, taking its name from Lord Raglan whose house, Cefntilla Court is set in parkland on the outskirts of the village. Cefntilla Court was bought in 1858 by fellow officers, admirers and friends of the first Lord Raglan and Commander-in-Chief who died whilst on active service in the Crimean War. In an earlier war, it was in the dining room that the Cromwellian commander, Colonel Fairfax, received the surrender of Raglan Castle after a bitter siege, conducted from this house. (excerpt from The Gwent Village Book, 1994)

Llandenny Map historic sites

1. THE VILLAGE WELL Until mains water came to the village in the mid 1950's this was the main source of water for the local inhabitants.

2. THE RAGLAN ARMS Well known local hostelry. Originally, "The Crown", Llandenny's third pub in the mid 1800s was nearby on the site of Holmer House.

3. LLANDENNY CHURCH Although mainly built between 1450 and 1500, the Grade 1 listed church of St John the Apostle has traces of Saxon construction. It has a set of six bells that came from Raglan, but which unfortunately cannot now be rung. The building alongside the Old Vicarage, now The Coach House, used to be a Methodist Chapel.

4. LLANDENNY STATION The station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool line was opened on 12th June 1857 and closed on 28th May 1955. However, a special "centenary" train was allowed to travel through Llandenny on 12th June 1957. A mile to the south was Cefntila Halt with a platform just 9 feet long, opened in 1954.

5. THE FERNS During the life of Llandenny Station train tickets were issued here rather than at the station. The Station Master lived next door in Sycamore House.

6. THE OLD VICTORIA Originally known as "The Travellers Inn" and later "The Victoria", this was one of three drinking houses in Llandenny in the mid 1800s.

7. THE OLD FORGE In the early part of the 20th century Arthur ROGERS provided a service to horse riders and cart owners. It ceased operating as a blacksmith's forge in the 1950's, on Arthur's retirement.

8. VILLAGE FARM Up until the late 1970s this was a traditional working farm that sold milk and meat to the locals. Its barns, dairy and butcher's shop have now been converted to dwelling houses.

9. ORCHARD COTTAGE This is, reputably, the oldest building in Llandenny apart from the Church. At one stage it was a pub, "The Black Horse". Some timbers in it are said to come from ships' masts from Newport.

10. THE PARISH HALL Originally built as the village school in 1864, it closed as a school in 1951 and was given to the parish in 1956 by the then Lord Raglan for use as a Village Hall.

11. THE ROCK FARM Along with Village Farm, this was the other working farm in the village. In the 19th Century it was also a cider house. Originally part of Lord Raglan's estate, it was a working farm up until 2000.

Llandenny Village Map launched, 28 August, 2013, 7:30pm


  • Cefn Tilla
  • Treworgan Manor
  • The Cayo
  • Llandenny Walks
  • Kingcoed

Learn more: Llandenny Village

Personal tools